Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite foods to eat, almost daily. They contain a significant amount of vitamins and have so many amazing health benefits such as:
- promote gut health
- good for digestion
- helps with weight management
- contain anti-inflammatory properties
- help regulate blood sugar
- good for hair and skin
and so much more….
Here are some ways that you can add them to your diet:
- Sweet potato chips: Peeled, thinly sliced, and baked at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or fried.
- Sweet potato fries: Peeled, cut into wedges or sticks and baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes (15 each side) or fried with a little olive or coconut oil and sea salt.
- Mashed sweet potatoes: Peeled, boiled, and mashed with whatever milk you prefer and seasoning.
- Baked sweet potatoes: Baked whole in the oven at 425 degrees for 45-55 minutes, until fork-tender. I either poke holes in them or cut into halves and bake with a little coconut oil on top.
- Sweet potato hash: Peeled, diced, and cooked with other veggies in a pan.
- In baked goods: Sweet potato puree adds moisture without fat.
-We recently tried this new recipe and it has become one of my favorites:
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado, Black Beans and Lime Vinaigrette by Joshua Rosenthal in The Integrative Nutrition Cookbook
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ingredients: serves 4
- 4 small- medium sweet potatoes
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 5 limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Rinse sweet potatoes, pat dry, slice in half, and rub with one tablespoon olive oil.
- Lay on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a small amount so the skins keep their shape.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, peel, dice, and sauté onion for 5-7 minuets in olive oil on medium heat in pan until caramelized.
- Transfer scooped out sweet potato flesh to pan with onion. Add cooked black beans, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper. Combine well.
- Stuff sweet potatoes with mixture.
- Transfer back to oven for 15 minutes.
- Whisk lime juice and 1/4 cup olive oil Wirth sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Top stuffed sweet potatoes with diced avocado, cilantro, sea salt, black pepper, and lime vinaigrette.
You can purchase this cookbook, along with some of my favorite, healthier, clean baking cookbooks, below. You all know I love my sweet treats and since, we eat pretty clean as a family, I try to always find a “healthier” alternative. Please let me know if you have any questions and I would love for you to tag me in your posts or stories if you make this recipe or any that I share on here.